Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love is Patient

"When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part." Captain Corelli's Mandolin


This reflects where we are now... in this 17th year of marriage. The madness has subsided... the falling has settled to a slow waltz. We are so entwined with one another that there is no vision outside of one another. It's been a strange year. We have a new little boy in our lives. A little boy, of which, I cannot get enough of. We have two older boys that occupy our time. There have been many moments of frustration with one another. Sometimes we aren't on the same page when it comes to this parenting thing and it worries me. I feel that we are failing the boys when this happens. Of course... then I remember... The most important thing that we do for our children is to love and respect one another. I believe that our children pick up on this...the love of one parent for another... more than they pick up on our love for them. Our love for them is a given, whereas, our love for our partners takes a commitment. THAT takes work and respect. I know that what I say is true, because nothing pleases our children more than mommy and daddy time. These are the lessons they will carry with them into adulthood, not whether they ever made it to bed on time or watched too much television.  Our children will leave us... They will march headlong into their own loves and futures, but Joe is my partner for life. It is up to me to show him that he is loved and appreciated.


He is my partner. All of the roads of my life have led me to him... to these children... to this moment. I am thankful to God for leading me here and I am grateful for His grace that carries us through the difficult times. He (and he) completes me.



Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.”


 1 Corinthians 13:  

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment